I didn’t want to love Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough on “Dancing with the Stars” season 11 because she is already famous for dancing and he just won the last season with a dancer who was good right off the bat.
But I couldn’t help it. And not just because she sobbed (a little too loudly, unless that was editing) about Patrick Swayze.
It was the lights. The way she leaned into him. The way he sang along with “These Arms of Mine.” The way she totally gave into the dance.
It was magical. And I don’t even like the Viennese Waltz.
So Jennifer & Derek are my favorites after the “Dancing with the Stars” Fall 2010 season premiere.
They are the judges’ favorites so far too. Their waltz made Carrie Ann Inaba cry and I don’t blame her.
My second faves are a surprise: Disney Channel star Kyle Massey — who I’d never heard of — and Lacey Schwimmer, who is now blonde and therefore a traitor.
I also love Florence Henderson for being Cloris Leachman + a tiny drop of talent. Corky Ballas is an angel that fell from the sky and I’ll have words with anyone who says otherwise.
Very disappointed in Margaret Cho. My ideal season had her wowing us all ala Kyle Massey. Instead, I fear she will be the first one to go. And for doing goofy choreography for a Viennese Waltz. Huge mistake on Louis van Amstel’s part. Love ya, Louis, but this one’s on you.
Bristol Palin was not good, but at least she tried. She smiled and wore sparkles and did her best. She’s not like Kate Gosselin. And Mark is the perfect supportive partner for her. Love him. So because I love him I will support her. Her mother should’ve supported her, too, but I guess her daughter was not worth the bother of showing up?
I was actually pretty impressed with the first week talent level in general. I expected more stinkers.
I’m still chuckling, though, from the true “sex bomb” that was David Hasselhoff & Kym Johnson. I agree with Len Goodman: “It’s never too early to panic.” That hip shaking will haunt me tonight. Wow.
Earlier today I named Audrina & Tony as my winners for the season, but that was before seeing anyone dance. Now I’m not sure what will happen, although I think it’s still good to be good but not TOO good right off the bat.
Here are my favorites after the premiere:
1. Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough — Score: 24 (8,8,8)
2. Kyle Massey & Lacey Schwimmer — Score: 23 (8,7,8)
3. Rick Fox & Cheryl Burke — Score: 22 (8,7,7)
4. Audrina Patridge & Tony Dovolani — Score: 19 (6,7,6)
5. Florence Henderson & Corky Ballas — Score: 18 (6,6,6)
6. Brandy Norwood & Maksim Chmerkovskiy — Score: 23 (7,8,8)
7. David Hasselhoff & Kym Johnson — Score: 15 (5,5,5)
8. Margaret Cho & Louis van Amstel — Score: 15 (5,5,5)
9. Michael Bolton & Chelsie Hightower — Score: 16 (6,5,5)
10. Kurt Warner & Anna Trebunskaya — Score: 19 (7,5,7)
11. Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas — Score: 18 (6,6,6)
12. Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino & Karina Smirnoff — Score: 15 (5,5,5)
Head over to www.wetpaint.com/dancing-with-the-stars for all kinds of recaps, top 10 lists, news, gossip, spoilers, sneak peeks and everything you could possibly want about DWTS!