By Gina Carbone
Pink spandex alert! HBO just released a one sentence “True Blood” season three alert:
“The confirmed debut date for season three of the hit HBO series TRUE BLOOD is SUNDAY, JUNE 13 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT).”
Which is exactly six days before my birthday.
Yeah. And Alexander Skarsgard just happens to be the hottest vampire ever. (And the sexiest man alive. Eat it, People.)
Not sure those thoughts connected, but they’re true. Viking Vampire all the way.
(Still, do you think Alexander Skarsgard may be Nelly Fang, as Ted Casablanca hints repeatedly in his Blind Vices? Say it ain’t so! I worry. Especially when Ted confirmed today that Alex has been one of the Blind Vices. If he’s not Nelly, who is he?)
HBO released exactly nothing else about season three, but BuddyTV has some great spoiler info.
Since it’s boring to have to click another link — and it takes you so far away! — here’s some stuff straight from that site:
- Tony winner Denis O’Hare has been cast to play Russell Edgington, the King of Mississippi. There’s no word yet on how far the series will deviate from the books, but based on the Charlaine Harris novels, Russell is described as the perfect southern gentleman who prefers men. O’Hare joins season 3 as one of the regulars and is expected to make his debut early on.
- Season 3 will also include werewolf Alcide, super bad vampire Franklin Mott, Sam’s blood relatives and a character named Debbie Pelt, who is “bad news” and an ex-girlfriend of a guy who’s helping Sookie find Bill. [Update] Joe Manganiello, who is perhaps best known for playing bar keeper Owen on One Tree Hill, was cast as werewolf Alcide, while James Frain landed the role of bad vampire Franklin Mott. [Update] Brit Morgan has been cast as Debbie Pelt.
- Tommy Mickens will be introduced as a scruffy but attractive man in his early ’20s who just so happens to be Sam Merlotte’s long-lost younger brother. According to Entertainment Weekly‘s Michael Ausiello, he’ll be showing his “unadorned backside, which, with Sam’s similar feral tendency towards the ‘full moon,’ proves that they really must be related after all.” According to SpoilerTV, Tommy works at a Tire Depot in Arkansas and comes from a family with a bad reputation with debt. [Update] Marshall Allman has been cast as Tommy.
- Beginning the second episode, Talbot, a sarcastic vampire with a model’s looks, will surface as a “guide of sorts” for the kidnapped Bill. [Update]Theo Alexander signed on for the role.
- A character named Jesus Velasquez, an “unordinary orderly with a heart to match his good looks,” will also introduced in the third season. He also happens to be gay! [Update] Kevin Alejandro has been cast for the character that will also serve as Lafayette’s love interest.
- A guy named Coot will lead a pack of rednecks this season. [Update] Ugly Betty actor Grant Bowler has been cast as Coot.
- An elderly woman who moves with the help of a walker mistakes Bill for her son
- Caroline Compton will appear in a flashback scene in the third episode of the season 3 in which she uses a shotgun on an intruder only to realize that it’s her dead husband Bill. [Update] Shannon Lucio is taking over the part from Amber Dawn Landrum, who appeared on the show’s first season.
- Lindsay Pulsipher has been cast as Crystal, a mysterious and haunting beautiful young woman who shares an “electric connection” with Jason (Ryan Kwanten).
- Heroes actress Dawn Olivieri has been cast as Janice Herveaux, the sister of werewolf Alcide.
- An African American bar bouncer will give some unexpected bad news to Alcide regarding his fiance Debbie.
After “Michael Clayton” and “Duplicity” I’ve decided I’m half in love with Denis O’Hare, so I’m glad he has a fairly major role.
DON’T go overboard with new and/or expanded characters. What they have now works and too many shows end up jumping the shark when they pack shows with too much crap (*cough*Big Love*cough).
I used to write regular “True Blood” recaps/worship hymnals every week at Seacoastonline.com. Now that I am no longer doing that there, I will be doing it here.
So for the love of all teacup humans, bookmark this blog and come back between now and June 13 so we can swoon and cry as one!
(Psst: We’re already being rewarded! HBO is giving us season 3 teasers every week for at least six weeks!)